Beaumast Part 2

The main challenge installing guy wires onto a tiled roof was how to make anchor points. I went to a local antenna supplier and they told me the usual method is with these long self tapping o-ring bolts. So that’s what I did, it was much easier than I expected.

I used a diamond hole saw from eBay to make 2 holes in the roof tiles, and made use of an existing satellite dish mast for the final mounting point. I used threaded rod to attach a tapped o ring (or whatever you call it) to the satellite mast. Using a wet finger I was able to mold silicon around the anchor bolts in the roof tiles.

Part 1 ->

From my understanding it’s better to be earthed than not… I tried running conduit through this cement path using only an angle grinder and a chisel. This would have taken waay too long. Ended up buying a jack-hammer from gumtree (cheaper than renting). The second earth wire is from a UBNT Ethernet protector in the roof-space. This goes to a separate earth rod a small distance from the mast earth rod.

Project Secure Backup. Part 6

I moved the project to some acrylic in what is possibly the final stage for the project.While I thought the software reset for the Ethernet chip would suffice for connection problems, it appears this isn’t the case. I’ll try reprogramming the chip with an interrupt reboot for the main program loop, currently the device isn’t sending info to ThingSpeak.

Once the code is running smoothly (for at least a week) I’ll add email notifications. In the future I won’t use this Ethernet chip, there is a similarly priced chip I have which is much more capable.

Continue reading “Project Secure Backup. Part 6”